Tuesday 4 June 2013

Child Labour (or Washing Line Imaginative Play)


You know you are getting old when your first thought on a beautiful sunny summer morning is 'oooh I can get lots of washing dried'! Today I also set up a mini-washing line for Poppet as an invitation for some imaginary play. Or not so imaginary as I did actually give her wet washing that I needed dried.

The washing line was made using some bamboo canes and leftover washing line wire secured with parcel tape. I'm not very good at DIY. I gave her a little basket with some wet bibs and and some of her dolls clothes, along with a few clothes pegs. I'd actually intended on buying some traditional wooden clothes pegs for her as I didn't think she would manage my plastic hurricane ones but after a bit of practising (and encouragement!) she got the hang of it, I was really impressed!


Manipulating the clothes pegs required a great deal of manual dexterity. It was great for strengthening her fine motor skills and pegging the washing to the line also required hand eye coordination. She also dealt really well with her frustration at the start when she couldn't work the clothes pegs, and was so proud at the end to see her little washing line next to mummy's.


She was chatting away as she worked played, naming each item as she hung it up, and who it belonged to.


Hopefully the rest of the week will be as sunny and she can get more practice!

Poppet: 2yrs 4 mos
Little: 8 mos





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!