Wednesday 27 November 2013

An Autumn Gardening Update

The foundations of our old second greenhouse (that has now gone on to a new owner) have been turned into a raised bed, giving us a lovely new vegetable plot to fill.

A bit of research online told me that garlic was the ideal crop for November sowing and we managed to pick up a bag at our local garden centre. This is my first time growing garlic but from what I read it is pretty simple so I am looking forward to when we can harvest it next June! Poppet loves the job of unpeeling the garlic and splitting up the cloves whenever I am cooking so I knew she would enjoy helping plant them too. I also found that you can plant early varieties of peas now for a June harvest, so ordered a packet of 'Douche Provence' online (we couldn't find any in the gardening centre).


It was a momentous morning as Poppet finally managed to get all her fingers in the correct bits of her gardening gloves! She couldn't actually do anything with the gloves on but that is besides the point.


It was quite a windy day so this is Poppet getting a bit worried about the the wind, but after some reassurance she was happy to continue.


I dug the trench and Poppet dropped the peas in, then 'put them to bed' by covering them over with soil with her trowel.


I got carried away and also picked up these spring cabbage plant seedlings at the garden centre so we put a row of them in there as well. I'm not sure if they will survive our icy weather recently, maybe I should have covered them with something!

So that summarises our morning gardening! We didn't even need to water everything as it rained all afternoon for us. 



6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh..... that hat is amazing! She looks absolutely adorable wearing it too! Love seeing kids out in the garden :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes she loves her bunny hat! Thankyou, I love having company in the garden! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. I love the photo of Poppet with her gloves on. Your post makes me want to plant out one of my raised beds this winter. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my first time planting at this time of year, I hope it works!

      Delete
  4. I love the outfit Poppet is wearing for her gardening - very chic. How lovely that you both have a interest to share, I hope the garlic, peas and cabbage do well as home grown is delicious. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou, yes she is one chic little gardener! x

      Delete

Comments make my day!